Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesse needs a music room

Thanks

Default Jesse needs a music room

Ok friends, the time has finally come. Assuming no horrific surprises on Wednesday I have a sweet ass home for me and my wife and (hopefully)family. Better late than never right?

As far as we are all concerned, these are my concerns:

1. Home has 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and 1,500 square foot unfinished basement
    2. There is no natural "guitar/music" area on the first/second floor
    3. The basement has a sweet "storage" room already framed out that is big enough for my music needs. It's 2x4 framed, concrete floors, exposed insulation, etc. Rest of the 1,500 sq/ft is open.

House is on a hill with no known water issues. Can I simply sheet rock the framed room, drop an area rug and make it my music forge? I feel like I spent most of my life playing in garages and leaving my shit there. I plan on leaving all equipment down there (drums, guitars, amps, etc.). I'll keep a humidity sensor and adjust accordingly. Either way, the Mrs. isn't down for a 1st floor music emporium.

Also, am I better off doing 2x4's between the studs (beneath the sheet rock and individual guitar hangers or one big long slotted shelf over the sheet rock like the big box stores?

Thanks

Congratulations! Most home studios/music rooms I know are typical finished basement without a whole lot of special treatment. You might need to add a bass trap here or there, and hang something to stop standing waves, but all that can come after the basic finishing work to make it a decent room. I feel the most important thing is to have enough room to keep moving things in/out of the way to be productive.

Thanks

When I did my music room I used foam insulation to help dampen some sound in the walls. Also, before I put any carpet down I put down mass loaded vinyl that absorbs sound from going to the room below it. The same thing can be done to the walls if you're really trying to quiet things. I'm more than happy to give you some advice on any questions you might have so shoot me a message whenever.

Thanks

I'm not concerned about the noise, the basement is sufficiently distanced from the first floor. I'm primarily concerned with my gear and keeping it minty.

Also, I can't drop a ton of dough on it. I want to DIY the entire thing, for sure (with friends, of course).

Thanks

OC703, green glue and a solid core door for the basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    Im all over this like a fat bitch grabbin the last slice of pizza.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    I'm not concerned about the noise, the basement is sufficiently distanced from the first floor. I'm primarily concerned with my gear and keeping it minty.

Also, I can't drop a ton of dough on it. I want to DIY the entire thing, for sure (with friends, of course).
    Then the only real concern should be monitoring temp and humidity. Dehumidifier depending how damp it is in the summer and humidifier for the winter.

Thanks

Ok good, Sheetrock and area rug it is! I can't wait to have EVERY guitar hanging on the wall. I've wanted that for a long, long time.

Also, drumset

Thanks

The only thing I can really think of that you might want to do, as your climate isn't exactly temperate is make sure its done up to the point where you can regulate temperature. I don't think you'd really have a moisture problem, as much as a temperature shift problem. Everything is going to constantly be out of tune in a concrete room. It'll never likely warm up in the winter.

Thanks

I was worried about that, too. ugh!

Thanks

You’ve heard my pitch, just everything off the floor. Put it down when you’re using it then have a place where it stores up off the floors
    Last edited by AllroyPA; 09-02-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog