Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pickup Wire Connectors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zippin44 View Post
    Hope the op doesn't mind me jumping in with a pickup wire question. I have a couple pickups with short 4" leads that need to be lengthened. Where would you suggest getting wire to splice onto the existing lead?
    Any braided or solid core shielded wire will work. We're talking about transferring very few mA of current here. Getting the shielded wire helps a lot with noise interference. I can't even remember where I ordered mine, probably stewmac. Shielded wire probably isn't even required, I never use that in my pedal builds. As long as the cavity is shielded, and the circuit is grounded well, you shouldn't have problems.

Thanks

You can get wire at Fry's Electronics, I'd get somewhere between 18-22 gauge braided wire and I cannot stress enough that you get good strippers and good solder. I'd shy away from solid core, especially for extending pickup leads. Make sure you get shrink tube too, that way your extended leads will be sturdy and you won't have to worry about cold joints.

Thanks

"solid core" you are refering to the wire or solder ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zippin44 View Post
    Hope the op doesn't mind me jumping in with a pickup wire question.
    No problem, buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by AllroyPA View Post
    "solid core" you are refering to the wire or solder ?
    You will want rosin-core solder. Really thin stuff. The thinner, the better. The thick stuff does not work well for guitar wiring because takes too much heat to melt and you get a big glob when all you need is a dab.

For wiring, I agree with lostinthemasses; you want braided wire, especially for pickup leads. This is because braided wire bends easily, and for pickups, the wire needs to be able to bend easily to feed through the routing. Solid-conductor wire is much more stiff. You can use solid-conductor wire for wiring the pots and jack, but it provides no advantage.
    Last edited by superheavydeathmetal; 09-30-2016 at 09:34 AM.
    Resident Schecter fanboy - Line 6 - NYXL - too much gain

This user has gone 35 days without purchasing a guitar.

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I had a big ball of old telephone wire but it grew legs and walked away when I moved. It was solid core, but would work fine for this application. Guess I'll rip apart some old battery operated toy my kids no longer use and salvage some wire.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
    check these guys out. I just put the terminator in my 470 rebuild.
    http://madhatterguitarproducts.com/
    Thanks for mentioning this. I am going to get a Dual-Volume-Dual-Tone Terminator kit for the Firebird (my original plan failed), and a Single-Volume-Single-Tone Terminator kit to make a complete second wiring harness with passive pickups for the Ondori.

EDIT: On second thought, I am going to wait on this. I never use any knobs (they are always at 100%), and I realized that the majority of the cost is in the pots which I do not need. I may just wire the pickups to the switch and jack. A kill switch would be handy.
    Last edited by superheavydeathmetal; 10-04-2016 at 05:06 PM.
    Resident Schecter fanboy - Line 6 - NYXL - too much gain

This user has gone 35 days without purchasing a guitar.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog