Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Thread: HD400/500 Line6

Thanks

Default HD400/500 Line6

I could be moving house from up in the mountains to back on the coast in suburbia in an apartment so cranking my tube amps probably ain't going to happen without a visit from the noise police or worse still a cranky neighbour with an axe,
    so I might have to invest in a HD500/400/300......
    I have never had much luck getting a decent tone out of these digital modeling gadgets, they always sound like fizz bombs to me........ I have Podfarm on my laptop & a Line6 GuitarPort at the moment but I just can't seem to get the sound I like even though I have upgraded the power pak to every amp model known to mankind!!

Thing is I hate listening to guitar through headphones but might have to get used to it.
    What do you guys think of the HD400/500 & if you use one how do you listen to your playing, through headphones or do you use monitors or what?
    I have to admit I am not really tuned in to the world of digital so please excuse the dumb questions.
    Thanks.

Thanks

You will be disappointed with either. I owned PODs for a while and they don't come close to the real deal. They just don't. Convenient for going direct live, but that's about it. I think the modulation effects are the best of the bunch when it comes to Line6, but the dirt effects are pretty underwhelming. I have thought on re-buying a POD for the convenience factor, but tonally they are still far from the real stuff, especially if that's what you are used to.

Attenuator for your amp, perhaps?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cosmic_ape For This Useful Post:

Flashback55 (02-16-2013)

Thanks

cosmic_ape I am with you on tube amps they just really ring my bell but some guys seem to get the HD500's sounding real sweet.
    I do have a Blackstar HT-1 as well as the Egnater but I like it cranked & it does believe it or not get plenty loud for one watt, my neighbour up here in the mountains can hear me playing but lucky she likes it......
    Robert Renman for an example gets some cranking tones out of a HD500.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z4EbdYyoXw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcJ-uxfPTAE

Thanks

I hate them dam modeling things. They are, IMO, the worst thing to be invented for the guitar community to date. Sure, they're convenient, and some of them sound pretty decent, but a practice tool they are not. Not if you're going to be plugging back into a "real" amp with tubes. I think the new Pod HD's sound great, until I plugged into one at a local shop. They've still not figured out how to make a modeler dynamic.

What some people don't realize is, is learning guitar is only half the battle. Most everyone aspires to own a tube amp when they developed the craft enough to warrant the cash. At least it use to be that way until all these low priced tube jobs came out. Which is awesome, but not on topic. The other half of the battle is learning to play your amp(s). Each tube amp responds a little differently to picking dynamics, tone modifications from the guitar's vol and tone controls, pushing the front end w/ pedals or modulation, etc...

You won't get that out of a budget modeler. Most of the sub $500 modelers I've played through are extremely flat and undynamic. Now there are some modelers out there that supposedly have fixed this issue, but they are expensive for being a modeler. You've got the Avid Eleven Rack, the AxeFX stuff, and this new Kemper profiling amp. I've only played through the 11rack. While it is far ahead of anything Line6, Korg, Yamaha, Digitech, and Roland are doing, it's still a modeler. Now you can amend some of the faults still left by playing through a tube power amp that is dynamic like a VHT 2/90/2, but then you're back into whole it's too loud problem.

The shitty thing is, there's really no easy fix to your problem. You could look into getting an ISO cab and micing it up to playback through a set of good monitors, but it's still going to be loud. Even ISO cabs won't quiet a cranked amp that much. I've seen some people have some luck w/ an ISO cab in closet that's been covered in studio quality sound proofing pads, but even then it's a toss up.

Another option would be doing a small setup from AMT. They make some pretty cool little JFET preamps in the form of a pedal and they've got little 1 watt tube power amps that use a 12AX7 for power. A couple of the preamps, into the power amp, into a 1x12 cabinet might be the ticket. I've not tried these, so I can't say one way or another, but they get stellar reviews and you rarely see them on the used market.

One thing you might look into is a VHT Special 6 Ultra head or combo. They take pedals really well in the front. I've ran preamps into the FX return w/out any problems, and best of all, they have a built in wattage attenuator that actually works. You lose some high end when you roll it all the way down, but you're going to have to compromise any route you take. I was just playing mine right next to our bed. It's almost 6am here, and my wife is asleep in our bed. It's not as flexible as a modeler, but def does the trick. The new Marshall Class 5's have a similar option to knock the power section to .1 watt, but I don't know how they sound. Just another option for you to look into.
    Disclaimer:

I'm a loud, foul mouthed, redneck. I have no problem speaking my mind. I've made mistakes in the past and I've reconciled them. If you weren't personally involved, then shut the hell up. It's none of your business and you probably don't know the whole story anyway. Be cool w/ me and I'll return the favor. If you're a douchebag, I'll be the first to tell you.

Like me or hate me, I don't really care which.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.9 Fingers For This Useful Post:

Flashback55 (02-16-2013)

Thanks

One more thing to add. A Line6 POD sounds best going direct. Even when turning the amp emulation off and using the four cable method to utilize your own amp's distortion, the results are underwhelming. Lots of high end loss. Then, you find yourself in a situation where you need a power amp and a cabinet to play your POD, which brings the price up! I don't recommend using it only with headphones, as that can seriously deteriorate your hearing. I would prefer playing at low volumes.

Other alternatives? On the cheap front, maybe a Fender G-DEC amp. The thing has decent sounds, nothing earth shattering, but it comes with a built-in tuner, effects, backing tracks, headphone out, etc. I use it for my online lessons and it gets the job done! One time my main amp was broken, so I took the G-DEC to a gig, turned it on "Blackface" with no FX and plugged my pedalboard to it. I had obvious reduced bass response due to the tiny speaker, but I was surprised how good it sounded!

Have you tried Guitar Rig? I own it (use it to record) and I think you can make it sound pretty good. The problem is, you have to buy an ADA converter box to plug your guitar to your computer, and possibly a foot controller if you want to change patches on the fly...

Thanks

I agree on Guitar Rig. I got Guitar Rig 4 for free because I bought Sonar X1 a while back. Another is the Eleven Rack. My brother has it (along with Pro Tools 10) and it sounds pretty good. It can do a lot of things, and does them well. You can use speakers and play through that if you wanted. If you can throw money away, then the Axe FX II is what you want. There's a reason why tons of gigging musicians use them now! It sucks having to downgrade because you are moving, but take it as an opportunity to buy new gear . Just don't be using headphones 24/7 or earphones because over time, it'll worsen your hearing and won't be as beneficial to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    Im all over this like a fat bitch grabbin the last slice of pizza.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Church2 For This Useful Post:

Flashback55 (02-16-2013)

Thanks

Thanks for all of your help & suggestions lads appreciated

Mr.9Fingers If move I will just use my Blackstar HT-1 with pedals infront, using the amps clean channel you can get a pretty decent low volume high gain tone out of that amp, but like you say it is a compromise tubes come to life when cranked.

And I have just upgraded the drivers for Podfarm on my computer & its not half bad for clean to crunchy tones its just crap for high gain though. I might just have to buy a decent set of monitors as the ones I have are not good enough for guitar use & like Blue Church2 says too much headphone use kills the ears.

cosmic_ape I used to have a Vox Valvetronix VT20+ amp probably similar to the Fender G-DEC, like you say nothing earth shattering & good for cleanish playing but it just sat in the cupboard so I sold it, I don't think I could go back to one of those amps.

The Axe FX would be awesome but that is over the top price wise for me

And to be honest I really don't want to buy anymore amps, it has taken me ages to get the setup that I am happy with now & I have brought & sold a fair few amps to get a good home use sound.

Thanks again I think I will give the HD500 a miss & look at some decent monitors

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback55 For This Useful Post:

Blue Church2 (02-16-2013)

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog