Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pauly's Custom JEM/UV Project

Thanks

Default Pauly's Custom JEM/UV Project

Ok guys, I realize I was clogging up the FS section with my misplaced posts. So, I guess I should probably make a thread in the "Custom Shop" section dedicated to this build. Keep in mind I am NOT a experienced wood worker....I can hammer a nail (and smash my finger) but I'm doing THIS project the best I can.

All the other custom guitars I've built have been pretty much "bolt-ons"....meaning I didn't have to tweak things very much....just bolt it together and go!

This project requires more flexibility due to it being a 7 string. It's not like there are craploads of lefty Ibanez 7 string necks available. So, I'll start there.....the neck:

I had to buy a right handed AANJ RG1527 neck. I kinda cringed when I chiseled out a HUGE chunk of maple from the Prestige neck but it had to be done! I was too much on a roll while doing the job that my only pics are before and after shots.

Here is the pic of the heel from the eBay page (as I bought it):

Here are the "after" shots:

It was kinda scary not knowing what to expect, but in the end it turned out nice. I still have some more sanding to do (finishing sanding), but right now it feels smooth and fits the body PERFECTLY. I compared the sculpt to the one on my RG7420L. It is the same, except I went ahead and went a tad deeper on the contour for more comfort. I'm happy.

The block of wood I used for the "patch", lol was literally one of my Son's wooden blocks....the kind little boys build with. I picked on up one day and said to myself "Self, this looks like a nice piece of Maple! I think I'll use it for a AANJ project in the future!". So, with that I put it in a ziploc until the day I'd use it.

To carefully remove the wood I used a VERY sharp wood chisel. I screwed up in one tiny spot, just above the wooden patch block you can see where some wood is missing. Yeah, I didn't go deep enough with the chisel right there before I pulled the material out. It is fine though, I've got some Elmers "Max" woodglue drying in there....I'll sand it flush after it dries. The only other thing is I had to use Mahogany dowel to plug up the old upper screw holes......I was in a hurry and couldn't find maple dowel anywhere! I didn't want to wait for it to arrive if I'd have ordered it from eBay, so I used what I had.

To sculpt the heel I bought a very coarse wood rasp. After shaping it I sanded it with 120, then 240, then 600, then #0000 steel wool. Afterwards I wiped it down, then applied a little lemon oil to clean it up and give it back some protection. I'll sand it up a little more to clean it further then when it's done I've got some satin clear I'll spray on to protect it.

I'll be adding more as the project crawls along. I hope this squashes the myth of "changing an AANJ neck from right handed to left handed is NOT possible". It is, and I did it.

I searched the net looking for someone else that had done this but couldn't find a thread anywhere with it being done. I onlt found threads where people said "Nope, can't be done" or "Nah, you wouldn't want to do that as it will hurt your tone". WTF? Hurt my tone? Doubt it.
    Last edited by IbanezGuy; 07-16-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Bucketheadů Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

Thanks

Ha, yeah, never seen it done before. Doesn't the 1527 have little dots as opposed to reg sized ones? I prefer them by quite a bit.

Thanks

Yep, it's going to hurt your tone about as much as any other guitar that's got 1/2 lb of glue in it.
    Disclaimer:

I'm a loud, foul mouthed, redneck. I have no problem speaking my mind. I've made mistakes in the past and I've reconciled them. If you weren't personally involved, then shut the hell up. It's none of your business and you probably don't know the whole story anyway. Be cool w/ me and I'll return the favor. If you're a douchebag, I'll be the first to tell you.

Like me or hate me, I don't really care which.

Thanks

Nice work Pauly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AllroyPA View Post
    Nice work Pauly
    Thanks! But I'm not Pauly, I bought the body for this project off Pauly on here.
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Bucketheadů Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Ha, yeah, never seen it done before. Doesn't the 1527 have little dots as opposed to reg sized ones? I prefer them by quite a bit.
    I think the 1527M has the little dots, this one has normal sized dots. *Edit* I checked and the Rosewood RG1527 has the small dots too....my neck is from 2002 so it still has the big dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.9 Fingers View Post
    Yep, it's going to hurt your tone about as much as any other guitar that's got 1/2 lb of glue in it.
    I think the people that were saying it would hurt tone, were under the impression the heel would have to be cut in the middle too.....which would have affected the truss rod. As can be seen in the pics though the Bubinga stripe is intact, I didn't have to cut into it. There is more glue holding down the fretboard then there is holding in the patch! lol! This neck is going to be sweet!
    Last edited by IbanezGuy; 07-17-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Thanks

That is an interesting project. I look forward to seeing more. What type of glue did you use to bond in the new chunk?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trev57 View Post
    That is an interesting project. I look forward to seeing more. What type of glue did you use to bond in the new chunk?
    Thanks! Elmer's has a new wood glue called "Max Wood Glue". It's stronger than their old glue.....and the old glue was stronger than wood anyhow! Lol! It's consistency was easy to work with and it wiped away (and sanded) easily. Instead of the old glue being the off white color, this stuff looked brown....almost like an oreo milkshake. Little specs of whatever in it. It works well!

Thanks

Ok, well I've made some progress.

I've applied the Ibanez decal, cleared over it using a satin clear. I've filled in the factory holes for the original 1527 nut and drilled new ones to install the lefty nut Pauly supplied me. I still have to find a 1527 string retainer bar though....

As you can see in the pics I've got the tuners installed, the truss rod cover on and I hammered in the anchors for the trem. I also glued on a fresh foam pad over the area where the anchors go in. I've still got to track down a kit for my drill so I can buff the paint some....it isn't going to "glossy" but with some proper buffing it will get a nice shimmer. I've also got to dig out my bottle of shielding paint and paint up the electronics cavities. Then I can put in the pots, the input jack and the 5 way.

I let the fretboard soak up some more lemon oil too, it's nice and dark now. In the pics you'll see the modded AANJ....it isn't "pretty" but it is FAR from bad. My intention was to only make it work properly and I succeeded! It is rock solid and best of all I have the piece of mind knowing it was done with wood....not wood putty. Later on down the road I'll do some more sanding once I can get some 1500-up grit paper.....but for now it's staying the way it is. The paint on the body was only meant to be temporary as well.....I've got a trick up my sleeve regarding the paint. Once we get back to the states I'm getting it sealed/painted professionally.

I've also got a cover for the trem spring cavity in the post too. That means I'll have all the covers....well, covered! Check it out!

This is going to be my "workhorse" Ibanez 7 string. So it won't be "fancy" for a long while.....but eventually it will be painted to match the decal. The decal was meant to pay homage to the green UVs, I LOVE those guitars!

Thanks

Ok, so now I've got the cavities shielded. I've got to wait for it to totally dry then I can start doing some more on it. I'm going with a BKP Painkiller in the neck and BKP Warpig in the bridge. I'm probably going to get a pickguard made for it that covers the middle pup cavity. I'm looking to get a 3 ply "scratchplate" made for it out of Black/Green/Black.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

rg1527 neck